Sunday, August 7, 2011

our Family weekend

This past weekend was such a great way to re-energize our batteries and just enjoy this HOTT summer weather!

The hubby and I had planned out our weekend, and figured we'd get ALOT accomplished, especially with our Littles.... WELLLLL that didn't happen! LoL ((Thanks to my mom, for giving us a helping hand when we needed it!).

Anyway, we didn't sit around and mope because all of our proposed plans didnt turn out; we just packed up our Summer Bag** ((again, a gift received from my Mom...)) and hit the outdoors in wonderful ol' Leth.
We toss bugspray, sunscreen, water bottles, first aid kit, snacks, wipes, keys and a camera into this bag! It goes where we go! lol

Friday was a "day off work with pay" for the hubby, due to cultural reasons. So we were able to enjoy having him home for the day with us.
We promised the Littles a trip down to Indian Battle Park. It's such an amazing scenic/nature preserve park right in the heart of the City. It's down in the river bottom, so you are away from the hustle and bustle of the city. There are many different paths and walkways, and it's right under the High Level Bridge-so you know that Dudey was ecstatic!! LoL It was cute, all we heard was "wow!!! look at thomas track.....COOL".... lol

The best part is that we get to enjoy the outdoors, and just walk and talk and take in the cool fresh air. The little playgrounds  are a perk for the Littles....

I am going to tell you the ABSOLUTE best part of our little trek in the I.B park. There is this extremely challenging "walk/path", and I did not know it had a name, but low and behold its called the "The Coulee Climb" (doesnt the name just intimidate you)-and it's a very long and STEEP stairway that leads up the side of the coulee, and consists of close to 180-200 stairs. Wellllllllll, the older boys decided THEY were going to climb it, with their dad in tow. I wanted to go with them, but knew it would be TOO tough for our little Dude. So him and I walked around under the big Thomas bridge.
Needless to say, Dudey wasn't having it. He knows that whatever his brothers can do, he can do. So he says "come on mama, yet's so climb dose stairs with brudders".....and I look at him and say "are you sure? because once we go up, we have to come back down. And if you want too, you'll need to walk on your own"- he's already headed to the stairs before I finish my sentence LOL

WE DID IT......the FIVE of us did the complete COULEE CLIMB....and OMG, was it brutal....but such an amazing feeling, to know that each of us, did it. Yes, we were a hot sweaty mess, but it sure felt good....and the view from the top, simply perfect. =)

((of course, I took pictures, but again, they're still on my camera! lol))
Here is a generic picture that I googled, too show you abit of the Coulee Climb.... lol
This picture does not do the trail any justice. You have to see it, too believe it, and if you look, the stairs at the top left turn into dirt stairs and continue to go up the coulee.

Doug and I took turns running on the dirt path, across the top of the coulee, just to see what we felt our personal stamina levels were at. He kicked my ass of course, lol

I was and AM so SO so proud of my boys. They did it. Doug and I agreed that we put limits on what "we" think is to much for them (physically), because we dont want them to get hurt or anything; but if we hadn't have allowed them to just make the choice on their own, they wouldn't have shown us what they are capable of. The greatest  words that both the older boys said were "as I keep getting bigger, I'm going to get stronger and climb these stairs faster mom! and I'll keep running and exercising, because we want to be strong like you and dad....reece too, we'll help him be fast!" ....

It's small moments like this, that show us that what we're doing as parents, we're on the right path. Even when we feel that we're not doing enough, or showing them enough...sometimes we need these reminders that regardless of how WE feel, they're watching and learning! =)


We finished the weekend with good food, good conversations;  LOTS of FRESH fruit; the spray park and another LONGGGG walk as a family. =)

I love these moments, and take pleasure in knowing nothing will ever replace these memories we're creating along side our boys!

Have a GREAT week everyone!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blog!

Wow! I do not think I would be able to take on the Coulee challenge. That's so amazing that all 5 of you did it & that you and Doug still had the stamina to run AFTER the climb!

<3 you,
Mom