Thursday, August 18, 2011

Humble. Inspiring. Grateful.

 How LUCKY and GRATEFUL am I? truly...I have to stop and ask myself that every so often.

I am SO overwhelmed with gratitude and yesterday's events leave me breathless with so many happy/ euphoric emotions.

I say all this with sincere love in my heart. I am sure you're wondering what is it, that I'm talking about...

Our Heavenly Creator works in such unique and mysterious ways; and I am blessed to be on this woderful journey. Sure, I'm still "sick", but look at what I am able to do- I can still pick up my camera and take some pretty awesome pictures. Albeit I still have alot of visual (minor) problems, but when I'm looking thru that lense/viewfinder, all my creativity flows and I love the images I capture.

I am still feeling the effects of yesterday's event- a Children's festival and powwow that had taken place in Standoff, AB. My husband's department was one of the main sponsors, so there was alot of work and volunteering involved. Once he spoke of needing an "adequate" camera and someone who was able to "take family pictures", I knew that it was something that I was VERY VERY interested in...

Low and behold, I was the family photo photographer. I packed up my gear and we made up our own photo shoot location with the help of a teepee as our background. (yes, it may sound clique-ish, but what must be done, must be done lol). I loved having the canvas teepee as my background, it not only served many purposes- but it highlighted the FAMILY. The main focal point of the photo, and it created such a great balance so that I only needed to adjust my aperture and white balance every so often. Not much tweaking needed too be done. =)

I think what overwhelms me and chokes me up STILL, is that I am NOT KIDDING when I tell you that more than 80-90% of these families have never had their "family picture" taken/captured. The shy and timid smiles; the side glance and hesitant smile; to the full out BEAMING SMILE....it was all truly so empowering from my end. I had moms and dads thank me for taking their picture with their children; I had grandparents overwhelmed because they haven't stood infront of the camera in a LONG time they said; I had grandchildren who stood proudly infront of their grandmas and grandpas; I had brothers and sisters stand lovingly together; etc. I could describe over and over, what types of photos I captured; the GREATEST images I captured were out of love. You could LITERALLY feel the unity of each individual family uni; the PRIDE and LOVE that each family held. I could feel the nobility of the single father with his young sons; the young couple with their 5 children; the elderly grandparents with their young granddaughter-who took her time making sure the picture was perfect for the three of them; the small brother and sister who wanted a picture together, etc.

It is moments like this, that time stops for me; and I am able to envelope myself in the GREATER good of our People; our Universe, and yes- all mankind. =)

I'm going to end with afew pictures, I'm in the midst of editing the final pictures that I've narrowed down for each family; I have over 500 images to choose from. I am fortunate to be able to provide a lasting momento for everyone, and know that one picture can be PRICELESS for years and generations to come (this is why I do, what I do!).



I am VERY bias with this photo lol I LOVE it and it's currently my absolute FAVORITE. The little boy's beautiful smile is what stands out the most! Isn't this photo simply amazing? =)

Another one of my favorites; the granddaughter who was SO excited to have a picture with "her favorite people"-her grandparents. (the grandparents were so shy and timid).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not only are you an extremely talented photographer, but you are also a great writer!

Just reading your post brought tears. What a great gift you were given to witness & capture all the Love.

Love you, Mom